5 Secrets to Getting Rid of Credit Card Debt
1. Avoid the monthly minimum "pay for life" trap.
Check your monthly credit card statements. You may be shocked to discover how much interest you're paying on each card. If possible, pay more than the monthly minimums on each of your cards - but especially those high interest cards designed to keep you on the debt treadmill forever.
2. Keep your credit cards outside of easy reach.
The worst thing you can do to get out of credit card debt is to continue piling on even more debt! The bottom line: As you stop supporting the credit card companies by taking on more debt - and pay down your existing debt - you may be surprised to see just how quickly your debt begins to disappear.
3. Use your debit card before your credit cards.
Carrying around plastic can be a convenient way to pay, and even helps help track purchases, but the smart plastic to carry is a debit card, not a credit card. Taking advantage of your debit card gives you convenient access to the money you actually have in your account - and it's a great way to avoid buying into the deadly trap of "buy now, pay later."
4. Know your debt relief options.
If personal difficulties have caused you to go deep into credit cards and other debts, you need to know that there are a variety of debt relief options available to you, in addition to bankruptcy: You have the right to:
- Call the credit card companies to request relief via lower interest rates or through debt forgiveness which could help reduce your credit card debt substantially.
- Choose a debt management plan which could consolidate debts, reduce interest rates, and lower payments. See how much you could save
- Choose a debt settlement or debt negotiation plan which could help you "settle" debts for substantially less than you owe. See how much you could save.
5. Get a Personalized Free Debt Relief Analysis Online.
Regardless of the debt option you choose, the Debt Relief Center can connect you to your free debt relief analysis and savings estimate, provided to you at no obligation.
Now that you know the keys to freeing yourself from credit card debt, you can get started on the path to becoming debt free! See how much debt relief could save you.